Friday, December 29, 2017

Looking Back and Looking Forward!

As a new year begins ( 2018...wow!  This is like the book "1984" and tv show "Star Trek" all rolled into one), I look back to see what we lived through in the old year.  It was a year of ups and downs.  Downs in that the president I greatly admired was replaced by someone whom I have no respect for.  It was a year of violence and a year when mother nature seemed to be on the warpath with our nation.  It was a year in which we lost my husband's sister to cancer which brought about the realization that we were not quite prepared for our own final plans.  But with all of that, this was a year of joyful times.  Our immediate family made it thru an entire year in good health.  My oldest son received his DMA (doctorate) in music which he has spent a number of years working toward.  My husband and youngest son went on the Honor Flight in September and it was a memorable experience for both of them.

There were a number of mistakes I made in the past year as well as before that I wish I could change (hindsight is a wonderful thing) but I have found that dwelling on those only causes more inner pain to me and that is something I do not have time for at this stage of my life. In this new year, I am focusing on looking forward and learning from the mistakes in my past.  For that is the only way we refrain from repeating them.  And as always, I look to my faith to help me.

"Just one thing: forgetting what lies behind but straining forward to what lies ahead, I continue my pursuit toward the goal, the prize of God's upward calling, in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13-14)

2018 will be my year of Creativity...not only in the artistic sense but in what I can do to bring growth, fun, color and adventure to my small corner of the world.  I do not need to try and send my creativity out into the whole world for validation nor compare what I am doing with what others are accomplishing.  It is only the value of my creative offerings to me and mine that is worth measuring.

 "Some of us will make tiny ripples and others will send waves crashing, but each one will forever change the surface of the water."  (Robin Dance on incourage.me)

What will guide you in 2018 in your corner of the world?



4 comments:

  1. Ellen, I love, just love your new color! And as I type this, I happen to be wearing that exact same shade! The words of your post echo deeply within me. I believe many would benefit from reading it, as I have. Just reading it gave me a surge of strength.

    Here's my New Year gift to you, another Ellen for Ellen. Happy New Year!

    Your Mission
    by Ellen M. H. Gates

    If you cannot on the ocean
    Sail among the swiftest fleet,
    Rocking on the highest billows,
    Laughing at the storms you meet;
    You can stand among the sailors,
    Anchored yet within the bay,
    You can lend a hand to help them
    As they launch their boats away.

    If you are too weak to journey
    Up the mountain, steep and high,
    You can stand within the valley
    While the multitudes go by;
    You can chant in happy measure
    As they slowly pass along--
    Though they may forget the singer,
    They will not forget the song.

    * * * * *

    If you cannot in the harvest
    Garner up the richest sheaves,
    Many a grain, both ripe and golden,
    Oft the careless reaper leaves;
    Go and glean among the briars
    Growing rank against the wall,
    For it may be that their shadow
    Hides the heaviest grain of all.

    If you cannot in the conflict
    Prove yourself a soldier true;
    If, where fire and smoke are thickest,
    There's no work for you to do;
    When the battle field is silent,
    You can go with careful tread;
    You can bear away the wounded,
    You can cover up the dead.

    Do not then stand idly waiting
    For some greater work to do;
    Fortune is a lazy goddess,
    She will never come to you;
    Go and toil in any vineyard,
    Do not fear to do and dare.
    If you want a field of labor
    You can find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words on the new color. I was a little concerned that it would be "too out there". But I wanted a new look for the new year, so why not go big!

      The poem is awesome! I am not familiar with the works of this poet but her name is Ellen so she must be good. *wink* The words of it just made me excited for the new year and for a new adventure.

      Happy New Year to you and yours! God's blessings on all.

      Delete
  2. Ellen,
    To add to your "creativity" this year...check out...prayingwithapen.com,
    motheringspirit.com, and beaheart.com
    I love reading your blog and am inspired by it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the links. I will be checking them out. I am so glad that you read my blog and like it. I worry sometimes that I might be just writing for myself. I appreciate that my meager writings can inspire someone especially someone I admire and consider a friend. Blessings to you and yours, Cathy.

      Delete