Sunday, February 26, 2017

My Lenten Mission 2017

"We are not the sum of our weaknesses and failures: we are the sum of the Father's love for us..."  St. Pope John Paul II

Lent is a time for reflection and self-examination. So I decided that as my Lenten mission I would spend each week of Lent choosing one word that I use to describe myself and then focusing on what God's perspective of that trait really is in His eyes.  So often I find that I define myself by the negative traits I have and wish to "fix" them but never really knowing where to start to accomplish it.  Instead of seeing myself as a sum of negative traits, I should be looking at how God sees me as His child.

Lenten week #1

I say: I have felt like a failure when objectives I want to accomplish just seem to fall apart.
God says: You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. Philippians 4:13

Lenten week #2

I say: I have felt guilt about things I've done in the past, even though I've confessed it all as sin and don't do it anymore.
God says: I blot out your sins and remember them no more. Isaiah 43:25

Lenten week #3

I say: Sometimes I have felt so unlovable. How can God possibly keep on loving me?
God says: Nothing can separate us from his love. Romans 8:38-39

Lenten week #4

I say: I tend to be such an insecure person at times.
God says: The righteous are as bold as a lion. Proverbs 28:1

Lenten week #5

I say:  Sometimes I am so unforgiving, holding grudges against those who I believe have hurt me.
God says: Be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has forgiven you in Christ. Ephesians 4:32

Holy Week

We say:  I have felt alone and depressed.
God says:  I command you; be firm and steadfast! Do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord. your God, is with you wherever you go.  Joshua 1:9

God sees us as his treasures, his children.

Search the scriptures to learn more about how God sees you and ask him to help you see yourself through his eyes.  Then will you understand your true identity in Him.

(I wish to apologize for not giving credit where credit is due.  The original basis for my Lenten post came from the following website             www.livingfree.org
I liked the post so much that I took it and tailored it to fit me.  I apologize again for not citing the website.)

5 comments:

  1. Ellen, this is indeed a very unique Lenten reflection - and beautiful too! I imagine that even in the months and perhaps, years following Lent, whenever you are confronted with your failings, you would also remember His encouragement for you. Try and share this with others - I know I am going to find a way to put this out there too! It might be just the answer to a tug on someone's heart.

    Caitlynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://melaniejeanjuneau.blog/2013/02/18/keep-the-love-in-lent/comment-page-1/#comment-13377

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen. Your Lenten idea is great. I'm searching for 40 crosses in 40 days. I'm photographing what I find and putting a thought, reflection , scripture etc.. on each photo with fontmania. Do you mind if I use some of your blogging in my project?

    ReplyDelete